Sunday 2 October 2011

Thigh High socks

Last night (Saturday) I decided to try and make some socks! I wanted them to be able to be attached to the corset so added I added loops at the top, attaching them also stopped the socks slipping down as they are not very stretchy.
I would have liked to sew them with a rolled edge over lock as this is a quick, cheap and efficient way of sewing them but the university doesn't have one :( Instead I finished them with a french seam which is usually more for sheer delicate fabrics but worked just as well (although there was a little bulk created).The cotton fabric is very warm and feels good on the skin.

pinning on me cause I got no other way!
Unfolded pattern unusual shape! ha



Cleaned up pattern and doubled.
French seams but would use rolled over lock for mass production.

Upturned and tacked sock ends.


Final socks/tights
Also tested out putting hole into this knit, It didn't cause the fabric to warp dramatically which is great. Also tried stitching edge. If I make more stockings I think I would like to explore putting holes into them like I did in my original sketches.



No comments:

Post a Comment