Thursday 15 September 2011

Translation of Concept from Assignment 1



What was my previous collection about?
My collection was about the layering and decaying of memories and the way they make up our identities. Their layers can protect us but as we age holes appear that may leave us feeling lost, or expose repressed memories hidden beneath.

  • Memory
  • Decay
  • Loss
  • Depth
  • Hidden
  • Protect
  • Identity
There was also a emphisise on natural fibres, raw fabrics (calico, silk) and naturalness of wool.

Was my message clear?
I think my concept was clearly conveyed through the created fabrics and fragility and layering of the garments. However I think they could have been more strongly conveyed perhaps though the concept board and final board, perhaps by drawing specs because all the layers and asymmetric designs made it hard visualising and understanding each separate garment. 

I think there was a large gap between the garments I was drawing and the garments I was creating, the ones I was creating evoked a mood of fragility and aged memory which was exactly what I was trying to do but with the Final line up It was not possible to make the dresses (due to time and materials) which stopped me assessing the 'real' look also I could have drawn from previous imagery throughout my research to use in my boards to further the understanding of my concept.

What was important in the last collection?
The Fabric, layering and what the holes revealed.

What aspect do I want to expand on?

I would like to expand on the practicality of the clothing and the function.
While still incorporating some of the designed fabric I would also like to try other fabrics. I want to explore the layering and holes idea further but in a wearable modern way.
I also want to keep expanding natural fibres with an emphasises on wool- pushing for more eco friendly garments. 





How is my design signature emerging?
I think my signature design is developing through my fabrics, I am very keen on textiles and believe they play a large factor into the beauty and reading of a garment. I also find my designs becoming very soft and having a intimate relationship to the body.

What worked?

I think the created fabrics really worked to convey my message but perhaps I can increase the impact of these fabrics by adding more plain fabrics to contrast and balance out the 'see through' effects.

What can I edit out?
I think I could edit out the amount of loose draped garments and bring in some more fitted garments. The woolen yarn fabric also needs to be developed as it was very time consuming to make (meaning it is expensive to produce) and in its current state I can not see it as a comfortable, practical winter garment.

No comments:

Post a Comment